Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A New Year


newyear
Another year has come and gone, we hope each and everyone of you enjoyed ringing in the New Year. We would like to start this year off with a story from one of our Families who enjoyed the New Years Eve Festivities with the help of one of our Service Dogs.
New Years Eve was not the easiest day for me. To close out 2012 with a cold never is. Delta was wonderful though. He woke me up at almost 3 am to start the day with a low alert. Now Eric was in range but 85 overnight is not something I like to see, and Delta was insistent that Eric was going low.
I trusted Delta because he is always right. So Eric had a 22 carb treat which was a little more than we are supposed to do and I went to lay down for 15 minutes before retesting him. My cold must have gotten the better of me because around 17 minutes later Delta came and woke me up again. Very Frantic, and insisting low once more.
Eric's blood sugars were in the 70s a true low as well as showing that Delta knew Eric was dropping when he did the first alert. So I gave Eric 30 carbs this time in the form of a soda. Then I made sure there was no way for me to fall back asleep. 
15 minutes later Delta was resting, not at all interested in going to retest Eric, I knew he would be good. and sure enough with a blood sugar of 140, both Eric and myself were able to get a little more rest before having to wake up to start the day.
I wish I could say my kids were in perfect range the rest of the day, but that isn't how Type 1 works. We went to a New Years Eve Party were us adults played games and had fun. It was easy for the kids to forget to check their blood sugars with all the tasting cupcakes and snack trays laying around, but our Delta didn't forget. He came out to the adults to tell me when my kids were out of range.
Thanks to our little Warren Retriever we had great time without having to worry too much about what our kids were up to. He truly is a blessing.
Delta is a Diabetic Alert Dog from our program, if you r someone you know could benefit from one of these dogs please Click Here.
To learn about our other Invisible Disability Service Dog Click Here.
To help place a Service Dog with a family in need by making a Donation, Click Here.
Our Offices will re-open from Holiday Break January 2nd 2013.
May you all have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!

No comments:

Post a Comment