Thursday, February 21, 2013

Tzaylie and OJ


mac007

We would like to share a story with you all from last week. This story comes from Patty, an adult Type 1 Diabetic with one of our Diabetic Alert Dogs!
Tzaylie has been hard at work, yet again.(Yes, she's had her share of naps, but she has EARNED them!)
Today my sugars kept her on her toes!
This morning she slept thru a low - unusual for her, but not unexpected given her age - I woke up at 5 till 6 with a 39.
Large OJ, breakfast, sky high then for HOURS - poor girl was going NUTS!
Alerting, crying, wanting me to be in range again & not understanding why it wasn't happening when clearly Mom was doing what she needed to in order to fix it - but that is life with T1D (type 1 diabetes).
Then mid-afternoon I had come down enough to have lunch (high sugars kill my appetite).
Then 10 minutes before I was due to leave work... she sits next to me & calmly puts her paw on my knee. A big-girl alert! YES!!
And my sugar was still in range, but with insulin still active in my system from my late lunch, I would not have stayed in range for long if I didn't turn my pump off for a bit & have a couple glucose tabs. Which I did, so I was able to safely drive home, on time!
That would have made me happy enough, to have done this exact thing two days in a row - but tonight she's been non-stop to a sugar level that just wants to fall... lots of OJ later, and she's finally sleeping peacefully - guess that's my sign that I too can safely go to bed! I just love my pup - she gets better and better week by week!
She has kept me safe, at home, at the office & on the road! She is, even though she is only 7 months old, living up to every expectation and is proving her worth in gold!

To add to that Story Patty sent us this yesterday!
 She saved my life this morning... 114 with 1.05 IOB - would have sent me to the 30s for sure, or worse!
Tzaylie is a Diabetic Alert Dog from Service Dogs by Warren Retrievers.
If you or someone you know could benefit from having a Diabetic Alert Dog please Click Here.
To learn more about Service Dogs for invisible disabilities Click Here.
To learn how you can help place service dogs with families in need Click Here.

No comments:

Post a Comment